Metro’s Youth Council was created early this year to give young people and our future riders a voice in Metro’s projects and programs.
The 27 members of our inaugural Council are all high school students between the ages of 14 and 17. The Council has given members the chance to tell Metro how they use our system — or would like to use it.
Specifically, the Youth Council:
- Develops the capacity of young people to engage with Metro and share their perspectives — that contributes to public transit buy-in and will help create a system youth can be proud to inherit.
- Lets Metro listen to the concerns and hopes of young people and future riders —- and is a great chance for us to hear new ideas and perspectives.
- Gives Metro the chance to engage future community leaders and increase youth’s awareness of Metro.
Who can apply to join the Youth Council?
Young people who live in Los Angeles County and are between 14 and 17 years old
How can youth apply?
Fill out an online application form. The application period is from Wednesday, September 7th at 6 am to Friday, October 14th at 11:59 pm. The application asks for written answers to the following three questions:
- Why do you want to serve on the Metro Youth Council?
- What are 2 to 3 important issues facing youth right now in your community and why?
- Tell us more about yourself or anything else you would like to share.
Metro is hosting numerous virtual information sessions for youth interested in learning about Metro Youth Council and how to apply. RSVP for the date you would like to attend.
Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 6pm
Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 6pm
Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10am
For more details, visit www.metro.net/youthcouncil