Heads up! Metro will be connecting the A Line (Blue) and E Line (Expo) to the Regional Connector project, and rail service will be temporarily suspended at 7th St/Metro Center and Pico Station for ten weekends beginning July 30. A free bus shuttle, Line 859, will replace train service between 7th Street/Metro Center, Pico Station, Grand/LATTC Station and LATTC/Ortho Institute Station. Select weekends will require closures of Grand/LATTC and San Pedro Station, extending the bus shuttle to Washington Station. These weekends will be noted below and on Metro’s Twitter, metro.net/advisories and in Transit app.
There will be NO impact to B Line (Red) and D Line (Purple) service.
The A and E Line bus shuttles will match the train schedule; see stop locations listed below. Metro staff will also be on hand to lend assistance where bus shuttles are running.
The closure dates are as follows:
- 9 p.m. Friday, July 30 – close of service Sunday, Aug. 1
- 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 6 – close of service Sunday, Aug. 8
- 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 13 – close of service Sunday, Aug. 15
- 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 20 – close of service Sunday, Aug. 22 (bus shuttles extended to Washington)
- 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 27 – close of service Sunday, Aug. 29 (bus shuttles extended to Washington)
- Sept. 3 – 5, no work scheduled
- Sept. 10 – 12, no work scheduled
- 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 17 – close of service Sunday, Sept. 19 (bus shuttles extended to Washington)
- Sept. 24 – 26 no work scheduled
- 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 1 – close of service Sunday, Oct. 3 (bus shuttles extended to Washington)
- 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 15 – close of service Sunday, Oct. 17 (bus shuttles extended to Washington)
- 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29 – close of service Sunday, Oct. 31
Dates are subject to change. We will continue to update this post as progress is made; you can also check Twitter @metrolaalerts, metro.net/advisories or call 323.GOMETRO for updates and trip planning assistance. A 24/7 in-language assistance project hotline can be reached at 213.922.7277 to address concerns.
Line 859 Bus Shuttle Stops
- Southbound from 7th St/Metro Center Station:
- On Hope St at 7th St.
- On Flower St at Pico Blvd.
- Northbound to Pico and 7th St/Metro Center stations:
- On southbound Grand Ave, south of Washington Blvd.
- On westbound 23rd Street at Flower Street
Direct link from A Line Grand/LATTC Station to E Line LATTC/Orthopedic, Pico and 7th St/Metro Center stations:
- On southbound Grand Avenue, south of Washington Blvd.
Direct link from E Line (Expo) LATTC/Ortho to A Line (Blue) Grand/LATTC Station:
- On eastbound 23rd Street at Flower Street
The J Line (Silver), LADOT Dash F, and Metro Bike Share also provide service at the affected stations.
This work is part of the final push for construction on the Regional Connector, which will connect the A, E and L Line (Gold) via a pair of new 1.9-mile light rail tunnels under downtown. The Regional Connector will make light rail trips to and through downtown much quicker and greatly reduce the need to transfer to reach many destinations.
The merged A, E and L Lines are scheduled to begin using the new tunnels in late 2022. Under the operating plan proposed by Metro staff, one light rail line will run between East Los Angeles and Santa Monica. The other line will run between Azusa and Long Beach. The two lines will share five downtown L.A. stations for easy transfers. For more information on the project visit metro.net/connector.