You may have noticed it warming up in L.A. lately – that’s because summer officially starts this weekend! And what better way to say goodbye to the current gloomy weather than enjoying the sun at Santa Monica Beach? If you need another excuse to hit the beach this weekend, the free Pier 360 Ocean Sports & Beach Festival is taking place this Saturday and Sunday, June 22 and 23.
The all-ages event has a little of something for everyone. Foodies can enjoy crafted food and drinks to the sound of live music all day long! If you’re feeling a little competitive, join any of the paddleboard, ocean swim, volleyball or skateboarding competitions. Or if you’re anything like me, you can just enjoy watching from the sidelines.
The fun doesn’t stop there. Take a tour of the Museum of Beach Life and learn about the evolution of beach sports, with real boards of surf legends on display. And the best part of the festival: dogs are welcome! Bring your pup along for the fun and let them cool off at the “Pool Paw-ty.” (Tiny reminder: pets are allowed on Metro as long as they are in secured carriers.)
Be sure to show your TAP card at the Santa Monica Pier booth and receive some cool swag – it’s all free!
Go Metro to Pier 360 by taking the Expo Line to Downtown Santa Monica Station. The Pier is a short four-block walk away. Finally, a few quick tips and reminders to consider:
- Expo Line rail service is replaced with bus shuttles between 7th Street/Metro Center and LATTC/Ortho Institute starting June 22 through August. Bus shuttle maps and schedules available here.
- Festival hours: Saturday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- View a full schedule of festivities here.
- Load your TAP card with round-trip fare ahead of time.
- Round-trip fare is $3.50 stored value + $2 for a reusable TAP card if you haven’t already got one.
- Follow @metrolaalerts on Twitter for service updates.
- To plan your best route, use the Metro Trip Planner.
Categories: Go Metro