With the Rio Games in full swing, Metro’s and LA2024’s efforts to bring the Games closer to home continues tonight when Shirley Babashoff — three-time Gold Medalist in swimming at the 1972 Games in Munich — will be appearing in the East Portal of Union Station from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. (the East Portal is the side of the station with the Customer Service booth and the transit plaza). Feel free to swing by and get an autograph or photo taken with Shirley. It’s free!
And here’s what swimming looked like back in days of yore at the ’72 Games:
The full list of Gold Medalist appearances going forward:
- Sierra Madre Villa Station, Aug. 9 — John Naber, four Gold Medals, one Silver in swimming at the 1976 Montreal Games.
- Culver City Station, Aug. 10 — John Naber, four Gold Medals, one Silver in swimming at the 1976 Montreal Games.
- North Hollywood Station, Aug. 11 — Julianne McNamara, Gold Medal in Uneven Parallel Bars at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.
- Atlantic Station, Aug. 12 — Brenda Villa, Gold Medal in Women’s Water Polo at the 2012 London Games.
- Chatsworth Station, Aug. 15 — Rafer Johnson, Gold Medal in Decathlon at the 1960 Rome Games.
- 7th Street/Metro Center, Aug. 16 — Valerie Brisco, three Gold Medals in 200 meters, 400 meters, 4×400 meters relay at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.
- Downtown Long Beach Station, Aug. 17 — Lisa Fernandez, three-time Gold Medal winner in Softball at 1996 Atlanta Games, 2000 Sydney Games and 2004 Athens Games.
- APU/Citrus College Station, Aug. 18 — Bryan Clay, Gold Medal in Decathlon at the 2008 Beijing Games.
- Downtown Santa Monica Station, Aug. 19 — Mark Spitz, nine-time Gold Medalist in Swimming at the 1968 Mexico City Games and 1972 Munich Games.
Categories: Go Metro