The Great Los Angeles Walk returns this weekend for the tenth year, bringing Angelenos together to explore the streets of our great city. This Saturday, Nov. 21, join the 16-mile route passing through downtown Los Angeles, Westlake, Koreatown, Beverly Hills, West L.A. and Santa Monica.
Before the walk, meet at Clifton’s Cafeteria downtown at 9 a.m. (648 South Broadway) for a tour of the eatery. The route will later begin along West Olympic Boulevard ending at Santa Monica’s Muscle Beach around 4 p.m. Architecture critic Christopher Hawthorne will discuss Olympic and other iconic boulevards throughout the day.
The walk is free to all and participants are allowed to join anywhere on the path, which is located near several Metro Rail stations. Hikers will be tweeting their location, so be sure to follow @greatlawalk on Twitter to find out where they are!
To get to Clifton’s Cafeteria, take the Metro Red or Purple Line to Pershing Square. If you prefer meeting the group later in the day, here are ways to do so via Metro:
- Metro Red, Purple, Blue or Expo Line to 7th/Metro Station, then walk about 9 minutes south to Figueroa/Olympic.
- Metro Blue or Expo Line to Pico Station, then head north on Flower St for 8 minutes to Olympic Blvd.
- Metro Red or Purple Line to Westlake/MacArthur Park, then it’s a 9-minute walk from Alvarado St.
- Metro Red or Purple Line to Wilshire/Vermont, then walk about 12 minutes south on Vermont Ave.
Once you’ve made it to the beach, celebrate at Joan’s On Third from 4 p.m. t0 7 p.m.! To get back to downtown, consider taking Metro Bus 4, 33, 720 or 733. Use the Metro Trip Planner for your best route.
Not interested in walking? There’s more transit-adjacent events to enjoy weekend:
- LA Auto Show, now through Nov. 29 at the L.A. Convention Center. Tickets are $12-15 for adults, $5 for children and $10 for seniors. (Metro Blue or Expo Line to Pico Station)
- The Queen Mary’s Chill, an annual frozen adventure, returns this Friday for ice tubing, ice skating, holiday carolers and more! (Metro Blue Line to Downtown Long Beach Station, then take Long Beach Transit Passport bus to the Queen Mary)
- Moby-Dick, this Sunday at LA Opera. Ticket prices start at $20. (Metro Red or Purple Line to Civic Center/Grand Park Station)
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, now through Nov. 22 at the Hollywood Pantages! Tickets prices vary. (Metro Red Line to Hollywood/Vine Station)
- The 25th Annual Mariachi Festival in Boyle Heights is celebrating famed mariachi folk music this Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. A farmers market and community fair will also take place in conjunction with the festival. (Metro Gold Line to Mariachi Plaza)
And finally, more resources to help you navigate our system:
- Metro trip planner
- Google Maps transit directions
- All Metro bus and rail maps and timetables
- Metro system map
- Metro Rail and transitway interactive map
- Fares and TAP card info
- How to Ride
- Nextrip real-time bus and train arrival
Categories: Go Metro