L.A. being the home of Hollywood, it may surprise you that the newest outdoor movie venue in town is actually a British import. What could the Brits possibly bring to the cinematic experience that we don’t already have, you ask? For those who like watching films out-of-doors, but see room for improvement as far as the home-packed dinner and picnic blanket thing goes, quite a lot.
Rooftop Film Club has been providing folks across the pond with a posher, plusher alternative to other outdoor movie screenings for a couple of summers. Now they’re setting up shop on the rooftop at the Montalban Theatre on Vine, where guests can enjoy beautiful city views, cozy chairs prearranged for optimum viewing, individual headsets, and an assortment of munchies and beverages.
If all that sounds good to you, it gets even better, because you can take the Red Line to check it out! Exit the train at Hollywood/Vine Station, and the Montalban Theatre is across the street and to the left on Vine. This Friday, the Film Club opens for its first weekend with Blade Runner at 8 p.m. Tickets are $17 after processing fees, and guests can arrive early, at 6 p.m., to take full advantage of the setting and amenities. If tonight is too short notice, never fear: there are movies scheduled through September 19.
Now, I’d like to think I have ultimate powers of persuasion, but if you’re only so-so on fancy outdoor movies, here are a few other transit-friendly events happening in our fair city this weekend:
- Long Beach BBQ Festival: This Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Rainbow Lagoon. (Blue Line to Downtown Long Beach Station, then walk 12 minutes south on Pine Avenue and east on Shoreline Drive, or catch the free Long Beach Passport shuttle.)
- Alice: 150 Years of Wonderland Art Show: Opening reception is this Friday evening at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood. Exhibition is ongoing. Your TAP card saves you %10 on Meltdown merch. (Metro Bus 2/302 to Sunset/Gardner or Red Line to Hollywood/Highland Station, then walk approximately 20 minutes south on Highland, west on Sunset to Meltdown Comics.)
- Dance Downtown at the Music Center to the rhythms of Samba this Friday night. Show your valid TAP card to receive 10% off your entire food and drink bill at nearby Pinot Grill. (Red or Purple Line to Civic Center/Grand Park Station.)
- Diana Krall at the Hollywood Bowl: This Friday or Saturday, let that sultry, gravely voice take you to your happy place. (Red Line to Hollywood/Highland Station then walk 10 minutes north on Highland, or catch the free Hollywood Bowl shuttle.)
And finally, some helpful links for getting around via Metro:
- Metro trip planner
- Google Maps transit directions
- All Metro bus and rail maps and timetables
- Metro system map
- Metro Rail and transitway interactive map
- Fares and TAP card info
- How to Ride
- Nextrip real-time bus and train arrival information
Categories: Go Metro