If you haven’t taken advantage of our longer, milder evenings this time of year to hear some music live and out-of-doors, why not cross it off your summer to-do list this weekend?
Admit it, Fourth of July was fun, but action-packed. And getting through the week post-holiday… that took some work, right? Personally, lounging on/under a blanket while taking in great tunes sounds like just the right energy level for this weekend…
Of course, there are lots of places to enjoy live, outdoor music during summers in our city, like the Hollywood Bowl, the Greek Theatre, Dance Downtown and Grand Performances, to name a few. One we haven’t yet mentioned this season on The Source is the Levitt Pavilion summer concert series.
The Levitt Pavilion is the non-profit organization responsible for the restoration of the historic band shell at MacArthur Park. Each summer they plan a lineup of 100 performances to take place either at Pasadena’s Memorial Park or the MacArthur Park stage. Every concert is free in an effort to make live music accessible to all Angelenos.
Keeping with this post’s “chill” theme, getting to Levitt Pavilion concerts via Metro rail is a breeze. This Saturday at 8 p.m., Indian composer and producer Karsh Kale brings his electronic fusion music to the band shell at MacArthur Park, just a short walk from the Metro Red/Purple Line Westlake/MacArthur Park Station. On Sunday, Grammy-nominated Latin Jazz artist Bobby Rodriguez performs in Memorial Park at 7 p.m. (take the Metro Gold Line to Memorial Park Station). Don’t forget your lawn chairs, picnic blanket and warm layers. Bring your own food, or purchase a bite from a rotating list of food trucks at each venue.
Finally, a few more events taking place near Metro buses or rail this weekend, for you mass-transit riders who never say die:
- Renegade Craft Fair at Grand Park. This Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Metro Red/Purple Line to Civic Center/Grand Park–admission is free!)
- Outfest Los Angeles. Jul 9-19. (Most festival theaters–including the Montalban, Orpheum, REDCAT and Ace Hotel, DTLA–are Metro-accessible.)
- The Natural History Museum’s Summer Nights in the Garden. This Friday from 5 to 9 p.m. at Exposition Park. (Metro Expo Line to Expo Park/USC Station–admission is free, but some activities require RSVP.)
- California Hot Sauce Festival at Rainbow Lagoon. This Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Long Beach. (Metro Blue Line to Downtown Long Beach Station. Please note that bus shuttles will replace trains between 7th St/Metro Center and Grand/LATTC stations this Friday night through Sunday.)
- East L.A. Art Walk. This Sunday from 2 to 7 p.m. (Metro Gold Line to Indiana Station–free to attend, plus save 15% at Quetzal Boutique with valid TAP card.)
…and some helpful links for getting around via Metro:
- Metro trip planner
- Google Maps transit directions
- All Metro bus and rail maps and timetables
- Metro system map
- Metro Rail and transitway interactive map
- Fares and TAP card info
- How to Ride
- Nextrip real-time bus and train arrival information
Categories: Go Metro