Here’s the news release from Caltrans; Metro is a funding partner on the project:
The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of July 20-25, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for the Week of July 20-25, 2014
Daytime work except where noted.
- Fill placement between the San Fernando Boulevard tunnel and the Lincoln Street/Victory Place intersection.
- Removal of vegetation along southbound I-5 between Scott Road and Burbank Boulevard.
- Construction of a boring pit at Victory Place and Wilson Avenue.
- Manhole work at Victory Place and Empire Center Drive (the signaled intersection near Wendy’s and Catherine’s).
- The Gas Company will perform utility removal/relocation work near the intersection of Empire Avenue and Victory Place and on San Fernando Boulevard between the northbound Scott Road off-ramp and Grismer Avenue. Some of this work will be performed at night. Please be attentive to lane closures and watch for workers in the construction zone.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected. Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of July 20-25, 2014
Northbound I-5 Closures
- Burbank Boulevard/Walnut Avenue on-ramp: A permanent closure was implemented on July 16, 2014.
Southbound I-5 Closures
- Scott Road off-ramp: Permanent closure. This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
- Victory Boulevard/Lincoln Street on-ramp: Permanent closure. This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information:Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- Real-Time traffic Information: Visit quickmap.dot.ca.gov, go511.com, or call 5-1-1.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit I-5info.com.
Categories: Projects, Service Alerts
Are these massive freeway projects being coordinated between each other?
Why are multiple on/off ramp closures allowed sequentially?