The 28th season of Grand Performances, downtown Los Angeles’ beloved summer concert series, is officially underway for 2014. Starting now until September 19, enjoy a spectacular variety of music, dance and spoken-word performances for free at scenic California Plaza.
This season’s highlights include:
- Saturday, July 5 – Stones Throw Picnic at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, July 12 – Adventures from Paradise: A Tribute to Minnie Riperton at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, July 19 – Chop and Quench at noon
- Sunday, July 20 – Quetzal 20th Anniversary Celebration at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, August 2 – People Get Ready: A Soundtrack of the Civil Rights Movement at 8 p.m.
- Friday, August 15 – Joe Driscoll & Sekou Kouyate at noon.
- Saturday, September 6 – Yuna at 8 p.m.
For a full list of artists, shows and times, click here.
California Plaza is easily accessible via Metro Bus or Rail. Take the Metro Red/Purple Line to Civic Center/Grand Park Station, or various Metro and municipal buses serving Grand Avenue, Olive Street or Hill Street. (Click here for a map of Metro service in downtown L.A.).
Go Metro to any Grand Performance and save on lunch or dinner at Noé Restaurant & Bar or Johnnie’s New York Pizzeria the day of the event! Noé Restaurant & Bar at the Omni Hotel serves up a fresh and frequently rotating “Neo Bistro” menu; show your valid TAP card to save 15% on your bill. For more low-key fare, visit Johnnie’s New York Pizzeria on a performance date and receive a free drink with your food purchase by presenting your TAP card.
Music, fun, food and flying through traffic? Sounds like the stuff of summer to me!