Photos: Anna Chen/Metro
With its vintage neon signs and general old world vibe, it’s hard not to love downtown L.A.’s Grand Central Market at first sight. And if you’re the type who’s not easily impressed by visuals, the market’s large variety of groceries, food stalls, and artisanal fare is sure to win you over at first taste.
Plus, there’s now one more reason to love Grand Central Market: a brand new Destination Discount for transit riders. Show your valid TAP card at the market’s information desk (located near the Hill Street entrance), sign up for their email list and receive a $2 token to redeem at any food or non-alcoholic drink vendor. The only hard part is deciding where you’ll use your discount!
If you do find yourself overwhelmed by all the the choices, here are a few Metro staff favorites:
- Egg**** has a name we can’t print, but an egg-salad sandwich we can’t get enough of.
- The wonton soup and fried rice are favorites at China Cafe.
- We love the generous price-to-portion ratio at Tacos Tumbras a Tomas: two tacos come stuffed to the brim and extra tortillas are included (making two tacos feel more like four).
- Valerie at GCM is beloved for its Cobb salad and delicious bread.
- Sarita’s Pupuseria and the Thai food at Sticky Rice are also staff standouts.
- Combat food coma with some excellent espresso or tea at G&B Coffee.
To get to Grand Central Market, take the Metro Red or Purple Line to Pershing Square Station and exit towards 4th Street. You can also take the Metro Rapid 745 to Broadway/3rd, or any of the many Metro local buses serving Hill Street and Broadway.