The I-405 project is set to do some major ramp construction work at Sunset and the I-405 that will require the closure of Sunset off-ramp for 120 days. See news release below.
Northbound I-405 Off-ramp to Sunset Boulevard to close for 120 Days Starting Aug. 2
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project contractor is scheduled to begin a 120-day closure of the northbound I-405 off-ramp to Sunset Boulevard in West Los Angeles beginning August 2, 2013.
Northbound freeway motorists that normally utilize the Sunset off-ramp to access Westside destinations are encouraged to plan ahead to determine alternate routes, allow extra time to reach destinations, eliminate unnecessary trips to avoid peak congestion and/or consider ridesharing and public transit options.
The extended duration closure is required for the contractor to complete building a longer off-ramp that, when complete, will be 60 percent longer than the current off-ramp, contain 60 percent more capacity to store vehicles and more effectively separate traffic from Sunset Boulevard and the northbound I-405.
The new configuration will feature two northbound right-turn lanes to eastbound Sunset and one northbound left-turn lane to westbound Sunset.
- Daytime: Northbound I-405 off-ramp to westbound Wilshire Boulevard, to northbound Sepulveda Boulevard, to eastbound Sepulveda Way, to westbound Sunset Boulevard.
- Alternate: Moraga Drive off-ramp, to southbound Sepulveda Boulevard, right on Church Lane to Sunset Boulevard.
- Nighttime: Northbound I-405 off-ramp to westbound Wilshire Boulevard, right on northbound San Vicente Boulevard, right onto north Barrington Avenue, left onto westbound Sunset Boulevard.
- Northbound I-405 off-ramp to eastbound Wilshire Boulevard, to northbound Veteran Avenue to eastbound Sunset Boulevard.
Existing Conditions During 120-Day Closure
- Sepulveda Way acceleration lane will remain open as is.
- Sepulveda Boulevard and Church Lane intersection will see lane reduction and height restrictions.
- Temporary false work bent at the median will be added at Bronwood and Sepulveda; left-turn restrictions will apply.
- Sepulveda Boulevard will operate at full capacity in peak directions during peak hours.
- Sepulveda Boulevard fully closed from Montana Avenue to Moraga Drive at night from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
The project team will deploy traffic control officers to key locations in the morning and afternoon peak period, and traffic control strike teams will patrol and monitor the area. Portable message signs will be used to advise motorists of the closure in advance.
Project improvements at Sunset Boulevard, including complete reconstruction and widening of the Sunset Bridge over the I-405, widening of the Church Lane undercrossing and construction of area retaining walls constitute some of the project’s most significant roadway improvements.
For additional project information or to obtain detour maps, visit www.metro.net/405. Follow the project on social media at www.facebook.com/405project and http://twitter.com/I_405. For real-time traffic conditions, visit Caltrans web site at www.quickmap.dot.ca.gov.