The Alondra Boulevard Bridge and a segment of Alondra Boulevard will be closed starting June 10 for construction work. Here’s the press release from Caltrans:
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will fully close the Alondra Boulevard Bridge and a segment of Alondra Boulevard in both directions between Freeway Drive and Marquardt Avenue beginning Sunday, June 9 at 9 p.m.
Both the bridge and this portion of Alondra Boulevard will remain fully closed until mid-to-late 2014. The work involves bridge demolition and reconstruction, retaining wall construction and roadway improvements on Alondra Boulevard.
The Alondra Bridge demolition will take place during nighttime work in six weekends — with three weekends of demolition work scheduled per each half of the bridge. The work will occur overnight on Friday and Saturday nights.
- The demolition work is scheduled to begin on Friday night June 14 to Saturday morning June 15; and Saturday night June 15 to Sunday morning June 16.
Up to five more weekends (weather permitting) of demolition work are scheduled for:
- Friday night 6/21 to Saturday morning 6/22; and Saturday night 6/22 to Sunday morning 6/23;
- Friday night 6/28 to Saturday morning 6/29; and Saturday night 6/29 to Sunday morning 6/30;
- (Then, switching demolition work to the opposite side of the bridge and freeway):
- Friday night 7/5 to Saturday morning 7/6; and Saturday night 7/6 to Sunday morning 7/7;
- Friday night 7/12 to Saturday morning 7/13; and Saturday night 7/13 to Sunday morning 7/14;
- Friday night 7/19 to Saturday morning 7/20; and Saturday night 7/20 to Sunday morning 7/21.
Overnight, Directional Full Closures on the Santa Ana Freeway (Interstate 5) between Valley View Avenue and Carmenita Road will occur during the bridge demolition weekends. One direction of I-5 will fully close each night and the other direction – with a reduced number of lanes – will remain open to traffic during the bridge demolition. The time schedule for freeway connector and ramp closures during the demolition work will be announced in early June.
Long-Term On-Ramp Closure: the northbound I-5 on-ramp at Alondra Blvd. will fully close beginning 12:01 a.m. on June 10.
Local commuters are encouraged to use the marked detours on Valley View Avenue, Artesia Boulevard, and Carmenita Road. Please consider the detour in your commute and allow extra time to arrive at your destination.
The motoring public, residents and businesses are encouraged to sign-up for regular notification on freeway lane and ramp closures and local street closures by calling the toll-free I-5 South Corridor Improvement Projects Hotline (855) 454-6335 or visiting www.I-5info.com
The work is part of the $110 million Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) HOV Widening and Alondra Boulevard Bridge Project to construct one carpool and one general purpose lane in each direction, from North Fork Coyote Creek Bridge to Marquardt Avenue, reconstruct overcrossings at Alondra Boulevard and North Fork Coyote Creek, and realign and upgrade adjacent frontage roads. The 57-year-old Alondra Blvd. Bridge will be widened from a four-lane to a six-lane bridge, with three lanes in each direction, and will also be longer to accommodate a wider I-5 freeway. The contractor is C.C. Myers, Inc. of Anaheim, Ca.