More traffic news for commuters … this time for the I-5 South. Here’s the release from Caltrans:
Santa Ana Freeway (Interstate 5)
Firestone Boulevard Ramps Will Permanently Close
NORWALK – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has scheduled the following lane, ramp, connector and full freeway closures as part of the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) South Corridor Improvement Projects from the Los Angeles/Orange County line to I-605:
FIRESTONE BLVD. RAMPS WILL PERMANENTLY CLOSE
Wednesday, April 3 at 7 p.m. – the northbound I-5 Firestone Boulevard off-ramp.
New date and time! – the southbound I-5 Firestone Boulevard on-ramp.
Note: the northbound I-5 Firestone Blvd. off-ramp exits from the #1 lane, the far left lane.
Digital portable message signs are at the ramps to notify the motoring public. Motorists can exit at the Rosecrans Avenue, Norwalk Boulevard or Imperial Highway off-ramps.
ON-RAMP FULL CLOSURES: Daytime, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Monday, April 1, Tuesday, April 2, and Thursday, April 4
- Northbound I-5 on-ramps at Alondra Blvd and Norwalk Blvd/San Antonio Dr. Motorists can access northbound I-5 at the Carmenita Road on-ramp.
Wednesday, April 3
- Northbound I-5 on-ramp at Alondra Blvd.
Motorists can access northbound I-5 at the Carmenita Road on-ramp.
ON-RAMP FULL CLOSURES: Overnight, 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Wednesday, April 3
- Southbound I-5 on-ramps at Norwalk Blvd/San Antonio Dr., S. Firestone Blvd., Imperial Highway, Pioneer Blvd. and Rosecrans Ave.
LANE CLOSURES: Nightly, 11:59 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Monday, April 1, Tuesday, April 2 and Thursday, April 4
- Northbound and southbound I-5 – Up to two lanes from Florence Ave to Firestone Blvd.
Tuesday, April 2
Southbound I-5 ONLY
INTERMITTENT TRAFFIC BREAK/FULL DIRECTIONAL CLOSURE: 11:59 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- All southbound I-5 lanes CLOSED from Alondra Blvd. to Rosecrans Ave.
A series of brief, intermittent traffic breaks/FULL DIRECTIONAL FREEWAY CLOSURES, will occur in the early morning hours on southbound I-5 from Alondra Blvd. to Rosecrans Ave. The work involves relocating utility lines across the freeway. Southern California Edison will perform the work with Caltrans oversight, and the California Highway Patrol will conduct the traffic breaks. Each break will last about 10 minutes.
Date: Friday, March 29, 2013
District 7: Los Angeles & Ventura counties
Wednesday, April 3
Southbound I-605/I-5 CONNECTOR FULL CLOSURE: 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes CLOSED at the connector from southbound I-605 to southbound I-5.
- Motorists are advised to continue to northbound I-605 to northbound I-5.
Southbound I-5 FULL FREEWAY CLOSURE: 11:59 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- All lanes CLOSED from Pioneer Blvd. to Carmenita Rd.
Motorists will be directed to exit at Pioneer Blvd.
Traffic will be detoured to exit at Pioneer Blvd. to southbound I-5 on-ramp at Carmenita Rd.
Northbound I-5 LANE CLOSURES: 11:59 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Up to two lanes CLOSED from Carmenita Rd. to Norwalk Blvd/San Antonio Dr.
- Monday, April 8, Weekdays 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Pile driving for the Shoemaker Bridge reconstruction near southbound I-5 between South Shoemaker Ave. and Loch Nevis Ave. The public can expect noise and vibration from the equipment, truck back-up alarms and work crews during daytime hours.
Work in progress:
- Weekdays through April 30, 7a.m. to 5p.m. Pile Driving for the new 10-lane Carmenita Road Bridge is ongoing. Crews and cranes will switch from the southbound I-5 work zone to pile drive on northbound I-5 at the intersection of So. Firestone Blvd and Carmenita Rd.
- Weekdays through Sept. 30, 7a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Pile driving for soundwall construction continues near southbound I-5 just north of the Imperial Highway/Pioneer Blvd. off-ramp. The equipment staging area is on Dollison Dr., near Dune St. Expect noise and vibration from the equipment, truck back-up alarms and work crews.
- Long-Term Full Closure of Shoemaker Avenue between Rosecrans Ave and Excelsior Dr during the Shoemaker Bridge reconstruction. The closure continues until spring 2014.
- Full Closure of North Firestone Blvd frontage road between Carmenita Rd and Rosecrans Ave began on 2/19/13 for realignment.
- Full Closure of Dollison Drive, a local street abutting southbound I-5, began on 3/4/13 and continues through September 2013 while Dollison Dr. is being realigned.
All work schedules are subject to change and are weather permitting.
The $1.6 billion Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) South Corridor Improvement Projects extend nearly seven miles from the Los Angeles County/Orange County line to I-605 to add one High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane and one general purpose lane and to widen bridges and overcrossings. The public is encouraged to sign-up to receive email notifications on freeway lane and ramp closures and local city street closures by calling the I-5 South Corridor Improvement Projects Toll-Free Hotline (855) 454-6335 or by visiting www.I-5info.com
Traffic Information: For timely, accurate and accessible real-time traffic information:
Caltrans Quick Map http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/ Caltrans Quick Map
Caltrans Lane Closure System: www.lcswebreports.dot.ca.gov
Categories: Transportation News
[…] Firestone Boulevard ramps will close permanently, plus other closures and work on the I-5 South. This is the left exit NB ramp. […]