The demolition of the first two Wilshire-405 ramps begins this weekend. There’s no way of sugar-coating it: there will be significant traffic impacts.
That said, the status quo in the area has been pretty much horrible for as long as I can recall — way too many cars competing for space while trying to enter and exit the freeway. The reconstruction of the ramps should greatly improve the way that traffic flows in the area, but there’s no getting around the pain that ramp reconstruction will inevitably cause.
The above video explains the basics and here is the I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements project website page that has more info.
And below is the latest construction notice for the week beginning tonight.
Notice of Night Work Activity – June 21-24
ATTENTION COMMUTERS, RESIDENTS AND BUSINESSES IN THE VICINITY OF THE SAN DIEGO FREEWAY (I-405) AND WILSHIRE BL
The contractor will begin demolition and reconstruction of the westbound/northbound Wilshire on and off-ramps starting at 10:00 pm on Thursday, June 21, 2012. The WB Wilshire on-ramp to NB 405 and NB 405 off-ramp to WB Wilshire will remain closed for 90 days, starting at 9pm on Friday, June 22. Restriping and lane reconfiguration will take place on Thursday, June 21, from 10pm to 6am. Demolition activities are scheduled for three nights, June 22-June 24. June 22 and June 23 street closures will be in place from 9pm to 10am; Sunday, June 24 closures will take place from 8pm to 6am.
What: Demolition and reconstruction of the WB/NB Wilshire on and off-ramps
When: Reconfiguration starting Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm; Ramps close for
90 days on Friday, June 22 at 9pm
Where: WB Wilshire on-ramp to NB 405; NB 405 off-ramp to WB Wilshire
What to Expect:
- June 21 – Full closure of Sepulveda, from Wilshire to Montana, 10pm to 6am.
- Two lanes closed in each direction of EB/WB Wilshire, from Veteran to Federal, 10pm to 6am.
- June 22- 23: Full closure of Sepulveda, Wilshire to Montana, 9pm to 10am.
- Two lanes closed, EB/WB Wilshire, from Veteran to Federal, 9pm to 10am.
- June 24 – Full closure of Sepulveda, Wilshire to Montana, 8pm to 6am. Two lanes closed, EB/WB Wilshire, Veteran to Federal, 8pm to 6am.
- Emergency vehicle access will be maintained.
- Work is weather permitting and subject to change.