Traffic reporters may be the commuter’s best friend, but to transit agencies they are action heroes on the front lines of some of the nation’s worst traffic. Every year, right before Rideshare Week, five regional transit agencies, including Metro and Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura counties, roll out the red carpet for the nominees and winners of the Golden Pylon Awards.
The 15th Annual Golden Pylon Awards are a prelude to Rideshare Week Oct. 3 – 7 when commuters are invited to give ridesharing a try. Not a bad idea considering that carpooling can cut the cost of commuting in half. Even better, walking, biking and using public transportation can send savings straight into T-bills.
This year the gleaming Lucite trophies inscribed with a traffic cone pylon went to six reporters who report on the daily traffic grind for numerous broadcast outlets.
And, the winners are:
- Sean Murphy, NBC4’s prime time traffic reporter on the “Today in LA” morning news broadcast.
- Kajon Cermak puts heart and soul and even a smile into Southland traffic reports on KCRW. “It’s bummer to bummer out there,” she’s been known to report. “Pack a snack, folks.”
- Scott Burt, airborne traffic reporter helps Southern California motorists navigate their way through the clogged freeways of L.A.,Orange, and San Diego counties on KNX, KFWB, KOLA.
- Larry Barajas, powerhouse airborne reporter, broadcasts live traffic reports on KNX AM 107 and KRTH FM 101.
- Ryan Duggan, a familiar Southland radio personality and airborne traffic reporter, tracks the region’s freeways on KRLA.
- California Highway Patrol Officer Luis Mendoza, reports traffic conditions on FOX 11 Morning News, Univision 34 morning news, Primera Edicion of Univision 34, 6 p.m.,and on radio stations KWRM Radio Mexico mornings; KFRN 1280 Family Radio, La Ponderosa 1550 and on the Internet Real Time Traffic internet show on Myfoxla.com for Fox network.
Give ridesharing a try for Rideshare Week and show the traffic reporters some love. Call 511 and say, “Los Angeles County Rideshare” or visit metro.net/rideshare to find a commuting plan that works for you.
Categories: Inside Metro
[…] feel this way, can you imagine how great last Wednesday was for me? Out of no where I won a Golden Pylon. […]
Traffic reports with an attitude! You just gotta love these guys!