The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project contractor will reconstruct all approaches to the Sunset Boulevard Bridge that spans the 405 freeway in West Los Angeles, a construction activity that will require two separate phased 14-day ramp and roadway closures beginning Sept. 30.
Motorists should anticipate delays and are encouraged to plan ahead when traveling through this construction zone.
The work is being performed as part of the reconstruction of the southern side of the Sunset Boulevard Bridge, which was initially demolished in July 2010. Local road and freeway ramp closures are now necessary to raise the street intersections and utilities to meet the new height of the bridge’s reconstructed south side.
Work is also being done to prepare for the demolition and reconstruction of the northern side of the bridge. When complete, the completely rebuilt bridge will be widened to provide additional vehicle capacity on the bridge and improved access to freeway ramps.
All the details are after the jump.
What: Sunset Boulevard Bridge reconstruction closures
Phase I: September 30 – October 14: 14-day and night closure of Eastbound Sunset Boulevard to Southbound I-405 on-ramp.
Phase II: October 15 – October 29: 14-day and night closure of north Church Lane between Sunset Boulevard and the Southbound I-405 ramps and Westbound Sepulveda Way to Westbound Sunset Boulevard between Sepulveda Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard. Weekday closure of the Southbound Sunset Boulevard off-ramp will be from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Where: Sunset Boulevard bridge at the I-405 freeway
What to expect:
Phase I: September 30 – October 14
- Eastbound Sunset Boulevard to Southbound I-405 traffic will be detoured to Northbound Church Lane to the Southbound I-405.
- Northbound ramps and the Westbound Sunset Boulevard to Southbound I-405 will remain operational. Sunset Boulevard traffic will be maintained with two lanes in each direction.
Phase II: October 14-16
- Sunset Boulevard will be closed between Thurston Avenue and Gunston Drive on the night of Friday, October 14 and Saturday, October 15 for traffic reconfiguration and k-rail placement.
- The Eastbound Sunset to Southbound I-405 on-ramp and the Northbound ramps will be closed as early as 7 p.m.; closures will be coordinated with Caltrans. Ramps will remain open during daytime hours.
- Sunset Boulevard traffic will be maintained with one lane in each direction the weekend of October 15 only.
- Eastbound Montana Avenue, to Northbound Veteran Avenue, back to Sunset Boulevard.
- Westbound Montana Avenue, to Northbound Church Lane, back to Sunset Boulevard.
For latest updates visit the project web site at www.metro.net/405 or follow the project on twitter: twitter.com/I_405 and Facebook at facebook.com/405project. The project hotline is (213) 922-3665.