I-5 closures set for next week. Some good news too – 3 long term ramp closures are ending this month! Here are all the details from Caltrans:
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) plans to implement the closures listed below as part of a project that is constructing High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV or carpool) lanes and a direct HOV lane connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. Ramp closures will be staggered. Detours will be signed. Closures are subject to change.
No unusual levels of noise, dust or vibration are expected. Residents may hear some construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state and federal regulations.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Closure information for this and other freeway projects is available on the Caltrans website: http://www.lcswebreports.dot.ca.gov/lcswebreports/
For real-time traffic information, visit quickmap.dot.ca.gov, go511.com, or call 5-1-1.
Closure Dates: Sunday, Sept. 15, to Friday, Sept. 20, 2013
- Up to three lanes between SR-170 and SR-118: 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Note: The most restrictive closures (i.e., the most lanes closed) will occur between midnight and 4 a.m.
- Tuxford Street: 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Lankershim Boulevard: 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Sheldon Street/Laurel Canyon Boulevard: 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Osborne Street: 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Paxton Street: 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Northbound I-5 to eastbound SR-118: 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Northbound I-5 to westbound SR-118: 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Southbound I-5 will be closed between Osborne Street and Sheldon Street the nights of Sept. 17 – 19, 11:59 p.m. to 4 a.m. See the attached notice for details. Additional closures below.
- Up to three lanes between SR-118 and SR-170 — 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Note: The most restrictive closures (i.e., the most lanes closed) will occur between midnight and 4 a.m. See the attached
Long-Term I-5 Ramp Closures
Long-Term On-Ramp Closures
- Eastbound Osborne Street to northbound I-5 (opens this month!)
- Branford Street to southbound I-5 (opens December 2013)
Long-Term Off-Ramp Closures
- Northbound I-5 to eastbound Van Nuys Boulevard (opens this month!)
- Northbound I-5 to Branford Street (opens this month!)
- Northbound I-5 to westbound Terra Bella Street (opens October 2013)
- Eastbound/westbound Roscoe Boulevard: 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Two lanes of the northbound SR-170 connector to northbound I-5: 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Up to two lanes between I-5 and Roscoe Boulevard: 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sheldon Street/Arleta Street — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
About the Project
Caltrans is constructing an HOV lane in each direction on I-5 between the Hollywood Freeway (SR-170) and SR-118, a distance of 6.8 miles (3.4 miles in each direction). The project is also widening four undercrossings, replacing sections of pavement, and building a
direct HOV connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. A direct HOV connector allows for freeway-to-freeway transfers without exiting the carpool lane.
This project will alleviate congestion, encourage carpooling, improve air quality, and provide a smoother ride for motorists. The work is part of Caltrans’ effort to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in California.
Work began in August 2010 and is on track for completion in late 2014. Funding administered by Metro.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit www.I-5info.com.