Metro is hosting a community celebration to commemorate the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project reaching its halfway there milestone. The event is free and open to all. Activities include dance performances, artist poster signings, a marketplace, opportunities to learn about the project and more. Plus, the first 250 to register at the event will be entered into a drawing to win an iPad! Registration opens at 9:30 a.m.
Join Metro for a Halfway There Community Celebration
Saturday, May 7, 2016 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Leimert Park Village
4395 Leimert Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90008
A few notable activities organized by Metro Art you won’t want to miss include:
- Make a collage with Shinique Smith, artist for MLK Jr. Station, and take home your creation as a souvenir.
- Participate in a group art making activity led by Mara Lonner and Kim Schoenstadt, artists for MLK Jr. Station and Fairview Heights Station.
- Draw with Ingrid Calame, artist for Leimert Park Station, and take home your creation as a souvenir.
- Get a free Through the Eyes of Artists poster! Artists Wakana Kimura and Sam Pace will be available to meet and sign the posters they created for Inglewood and Leimert Park.
- Performance by Lula Washington Dance Theatre.
- Music Performance by Buyepongo.
- Music Performance by Dwight Trible Ensemble + Poetry Reading by Kamau Daáood.
- Interactive Drumming Workshop Led By Nikki Campbell and Kahlil Cummings.
- Soul Children DJs Sacred & Al Jackson will spin sounds in between sets throughout the day
- Dwight Trible & Matthew Gibson of World Stage will discuss Metro’s Tree to Drums project to save trees that would otherwise have been lost as part of construction.
- Hear from local youth who participated in the Murals + Mentors workshops to design construction phase artworks already on view at three station sites along the Crenshaw/LAX Corridor.
- Watch short videos about Crenshaw/LAX station art-in-progress, featuring interviews with the artists and a sneak peek at their designs.