Here are five things to know about the artworks-in-progress for the future Aviation/Century Station. The artworks will contribute to a welcoming environment for riders and connect the station to surrounding neighborhoods.
- Sherin Guirguis’s artwork explores themes of migration and the intersection of cultural histories.
- Her artwork design combines visual elements like the colors of the sky at dusk and dawn and ironwork from the neighborhood, with patterning that references the artist’s birthplace (Egypt) and her journey to Los Angeles.
- The concept mirrors the countless people who have also journeyed to the area.
- As a daily Metro user the artist wanted to convey the experience of people from numerous backgrounds converging in the public space of transit.
- The artwork will take the shape of porcelain enamel steel on the platform and a patterned fence on the platform running above the street.
Click here for more information about the Crenshaw/LAX Art Program.
Click here for more information about Metro Art.
Past Crenshaw/LAX artwork stories on The Source:
Categories: Metro Art