If you’re all about celebrating cultural diversity, you won’t want to miss the 10th Annual Lummis Day Festival! In honor of Charles Fletcher Lummis, the free community event highlights the most talented dancers, musicians, artisans and poets of Northeast Los Angeles from all walks of life.
This year, the festival extends through the entire weekend at five locations all conveniently located near Metro Rail stations. Take Metro to avoid the hustle and bustle of traffic and receive a free Lummis Day goodie bag when showing your valid TAP card at Sycamore Grove Park’s welcome booth. You know you want one!
To get to Friday’s Lummis Day activities, ride the Metro Gold Line to Mariachi Plaza Station. Saturday and Sunday events can be reached from Southwest Museum Station. Use the Metro Trip Planner to find your best route.
Lummis Festival Schedule:
Mariachi Plaza, Friday, June 5, 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Metro Gold Line to Mariachi Plaza for music, dance, poetry and theater.
Southwest Museum, Saturday, June 6, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday, June 7, 10:30 am – 5 p.m.
Metro Gold Line to Southwest Museum Station for art exhibits, poetry and music.
York Park, Saturday, June 6, 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Metro Gold Line to Southwest Museum Station then take Metro Local 83 to Avenue 50 and York Boulevard for opera, dance and music.
Lummis Home, 200 E Ave. 43, Sunday, June 7, 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Metro Gold Line to Southwest Museum Station for crafts, music and poetry.
Sycamore Grove Park, Sunday, June 7, noon – 7 p.m.
Metro Gold Line to Southwest Museum Station for music, dance, puppets and storytelling.
The celebration of music and community continues along the Metro Gold Line with the Make Music Pasadena Festival on Saturday. Downtown Pasadena will welcome more than 50,000 people while 150+ bands showcase an eclectic mix of music. Metro riders can reach the festival from Del Mar, Lake or Memorial Park stations. Bonus: Go Metro to Blaze Pizza and show your valid TAP card for a free drink when purchasing a pizza. A full schedule of events with dates, times and acts can be found here.
Lastly, for those who’d like to spend their weekend on the opposite side of the tracks (pun intended), see the following events:
- Metro Art Presents: Mia Doi Todd at Union Station, June 5 (Metro Gold, Red or Purple Line or Silver Line to Union Station)
- Jazz at Los Angeles County Museum of Art, every Friday through September. Go Metro this Friday and receive a FREE Hollywood Bowl picnic blanket! (Metro Bus 720 to Wilshire/Fairfax)
- Dance Downtown at The Music Center, every other Friday through August 28. Go Metro and save 10% on your bill at Pinot Grill. (Metro Red or Purple Line to Civic Center/Grand Park Station)
- Matilda: The Musical now through July 12 at Ahmanson Theatre (Metro Red or Purple Line to Civic Center/Grand Park Station)
- CatCon LA at The Reef, Saturday and Sunday (Metro Bus 40, 45, or 745 to Washington/Beverly)
- World Ocean Day Celebration at Aquarium of Pacific, Saturday and Sunday. Go Metro and save $10 on regular adult admission! (Metro Blue Line to Downtown Long Beach Station or use the Metro Trip Planner for your best route.)
- The Los Angeles Bread Festival, Saturday and Sunday at Grand Central Market (Metro Red or Purple Line to Pershing Square Station)
Until next time, more information to help you get where you’re going:
- Metro trip planner
- Google Maps transit directions
- All Metro bus and rail maps and timetables
- Metro system map
- Metro Rail and transitway interactive map
- Fares and TAP card info
- How to Ride
- Nextrip real-time bus and train arrival
Categories: Go Metro