Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer, which means more outdoor activities and great weather. Not sure what events you’d like to participate in? Grab those blankets and lawn chairs and let us help you make the most of your three-day weekend!
Street Food Cinema has been around since 2012, turning the traditional movie experience into an outdoor celebration. This Saturday, May 23, 500 Days of Summer will be playing at Exposition Park. Before the movie begins at 8:30 p.m., see a live performance by Indie Rock band Act As If, then grab a bite to eat from some of the best food trucks in the city.
And it doesn’t stop there. This Saturday and every Saturday through October 31, you can catch your favorite movies at various parks around Los Angeles. Luckily for Metro riders, 500 Days of Summer is playing near Metro’s Expo Park/USC Station. Go Metro to the park and show your TAP card at check-in to receive a limited edition Hollywood Bowl picnic blanket while supplies last! Pre-sale tickets are sold out, but a limited number of tickets are still available upon entry.
See Street Food Cinema’s schedule for future films coming to a park near you.
L.A. County’s Natural History Museum, also near Exposition Park, is showcasing its latest exhibition, the 29th Annual Bug Fair: The Year of the Butterfly. Take Metro to see more than 30 species of butterflies take flight and show your TAP card to save on admission. Check our detailed list of Destination Discounts to save at shops, eateries, museums and other locations all weekend long!
Here are more transit accessible events to consider this Memorial Day Weekend:
- L.A. Dodgers vs. San Diego Padres game, Friday at Dodger Stadium (Dodger Stadium Express from Union Station or Harbor Gateway Transit Center) * free rides for ticket holders
- Friday Wine Tastings at Barnsdall Art Park and Hollyhock House (Metro Red Line to Vermont/Sunset Station)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Dazed and Confused outdoor movie screenings, Saturday and Sunday at Hollywood Forever Cemetery (Metro Bus 4 to Santa Monica /Bronson)
- Train performing live, Sunday at Hollywood Bowl (Metro Red Line to Hollywood/Highland Station and hop on free shuttle, or Metro Bus 212/213, 217, 222)
- Michael Jackson Exhibit, Sunday at the Grammy Museum in DTLA (Metro Blue or Expo Line to Pico Station)
- Fiesta Hermosa, all Weekend in downtown Hermosa Beach (Metro Green Line to Douglas Station, then catch free bus shuttle at corner of Aviation Bl/Hawaii each day from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.)
Please note: On Monday, Memorial Day, Metro buses and trains will be operating on Sunday/holiday schedule. There will also be parades and bus detours, so please plan ahead. See the Planned Service Advisories page for details.
That concludes our Memorial Day Weekend roundup. See the links below for more help navigating Metro:
- Metro trip planner
- Google Maps transit directions
- All Metro bus and rail maps and timetables
- Metro system map
- Metro Rail and transitway interactive map
- Fares and TAP card info
- How to Ride
- Nextrip real-time bus and train arrival
Categories: Go Metro