We may miss out on the whole picturesque, snow-capped December thing here in the Los Angeles-area — which is perhaps why many of us (including yours truly) are nutty about holiday lights.
In the spirit of all things festive and electric, here is a list of Metro-adjacent holiday light celebrations. From lamp-lit Victorian houses and a luminous boat parade, to Christmas trees and menorahs too big to fit through your front door, Go Metro to dazzle your eyeballs and get in the holiday mood—sans traffic, and of course, sans snow.
Bonus: many of the events below include performances, live music, ice sculpting, fireworks, seasonal nosh, and more, so be sure to click the links for details!
- The Americana at Brand Tree Lighting (Glendale): Thursday, Nov 21 at 7:30 p.m. // Metro Bus 603 to Colorado/Columbus, Bus 180/181 to Central/Americana, Bus 92 to Brand/Harvard, Bus 183 or 201 to Central/Broadway.
- Rodeo Drive Holiday Lighting Ceremony (Beverly Hills): Sunday, Nov 24 at 5:00 p.m. // Metro Rapid 720 to Wilshire/Beverly, Bus 20 to Wilshire/Rodeo, Bus 14 to Canon/Dayton or Beverly/Charleville.
- Third Street Promenade Menorah Lighting (Santa Monica): Wednesday, Nov 27 through Thursday, Dec 5 at sundown // Metro Rapid 720, Big Blue Bus 1 or 7 to Santa Monica/Third Street Promenade, Metro Bus 20 to Wilshire/2nd.
- Holiday Tree Lighting at Nokia Plaza, L.A. Live (South Park): Thursday, Nov 28 at 7:00 p.m. // Metro Blue or Expo Line to Pico Station, Metro Red Line to 7th St./Metro Center, numerous downtown buses.
- Old Pasadena Tree Lighting (Pasadena): Friday, Nov 29 at 6:00 p.m. // Metro Gold Line to Memorial Park Station, Metro Rapid 762 or 780 to Fair Oaks/Colorado, Metro Bus 180/181 or 10 to De Lacey/Colorado.
- L.A. Farmers Market Menorah Lighting and Hanukkah Celebration (Mid City West): Sunday, Dec 1 at 2:30 p.m. // Metro Rapid 780, Metro Bus 16/316 to Fairfax/3rd, Bus 217 or 218 to Fairfax/1st, Bus 14 to Beverly/Fairfax.
- L.A. Country Tree Lighting at Music Center (Downtown L.A.): Monday, Dec 2 at 5:00 p.m. // Metro Red or Purple Line to Civic Center/Grand Park Station, numerous downtown buses.
- Queen Mary Christmas Tree Lighting (Long Beach): Wednesday, Dec 4, time TDB // Metro Blue Line to Downtown Long Beach Station, transfer to free Passport bus at Pine/Ocean to Catalina Express/Parking Lot N.
- City of Inglewood Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony (Inglewood): Thursday, Dec 5 at 5:30 p.m. // Metro Rapid 740, Bus 40, 111/311, or 212/312 to La Brea/Queen.
- Tree Lighting in Central Plaza (Chinatown): Thursday, Dec 5 at 6:00 p.m. // Metro Gold Line to Chinatown Station, Metro Bus 45 or 83 to Broadway/Chinatown.
- Naples Island Boat Parade and Neighborhood Lights (Long Beach): Saturday, Dec 21 (streets close for parade at 5:00 p.m., parade begins at 6:00 p.m) // Metro Blue Line to 1st St Station, transfer to Long Beach Transit Bus 121. to 2nd/Ravenna SE.
Now, who else is excited for the holidays?