The first two blocks of downtown’s brand-new Grand Park - from Grand Avenue to Hill Street – will open to the public with a two-day celebration on July 28 and 29. Grand Park is just steps from Civic Center Station on the Red and Purple Lines and plenty of buses also have stops around the park, which means it’s easy to get there with Metro – and if you go Metro to the opening events, you’ll get the chance to win the Grand Avenue Prize Package!
Just show your Metro pass at the info booth on either Saturday, July 28 or Sunday, July 29 to enter for your chance to win. The Grand Avenue Prize Package includes:
- ONE-NIGHT stay in a deluxe room at the Omni Los Angeles Hotel
- ONE SEMESTER of any group class for the Fall 2012 semester in either the Colburn School of Performing Arts, the Trudl Zipper Dance Institute or the Adult Studies division
- FOUR RESERVED VIP SEATS to a Grand Performances 2012 performance of your choice
- $150 GIFT CARD to Kendall’s Brasserie & Bar
- FOUR TICKETS to The National Ballet of Canada’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland on Saturday, October 20 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
- TWO TICKETS to Los Angeles Master Chorale’s Annual Festival of Carols on Saturday, December 8 at the Walt Disney Concert Hall
- TWO PASSES to any REDCAT concert, screening or performance
- TWO TICKETS to L.A. Opera’s production of Mozart’s Don Giovanni on Friday, September 28 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
- $50 GIFT CARD to any L.A. Phil or Hollywood Bowl performance, any Patina restaurant at The Music Center or Hollywood Bowl that accepts credit cards, or L.A. Phil or Hollywood Bowl gift stores
- TWO TICKETS to RED on Friday, August 3 in the Mark Taper Forum
- FOUR TICKETS to Broadway’s Mary Poppins on Thursday, August 9 in the Ahmanson Theatre
July 28 also happens to be National Dance Day. Head to the park and get your dance on with Lauren Gottlieb, a “So You Think You Can Dance” All-Star, and Gina Grant from Zumba. The two ladies will lead the public in the official National Dance Day dance routines.
The National Dance Day Celebration lasts from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Afterward, enjoy free community dance classes and performances, a special performance by IRIS from Cirque du Soleil, other fun activities and food trucks for the rest of the day.
Festivities continue Sunday, July 29 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with Music in the Park. The inaugural musical event will feature regional musical performers presented by Grand Performances in partnership with The Music Center.