The 15th Annual Golden Pylon Awards are a prelude to Rideshare Week Oct. 3 – 7 when commuters are invited to give ridesharing a try. Not a bad idea considering that carpooling can cut the cost of commuting in half. Even better, walking, biking and using public transportation can send savings straight into T-bills.
This year the gleaming Lucite trophies inscribed with a traffic cone pylon went to six reporters who report on the daily traffic grind for numerous broadcast outlets.
And, the winners are:
- Sean Murphy, NBC4’s prime time traffic reporter on the “Today in LA” morning news broadcast.
- Kajon Cermak puts heart and soul and even a smile into Southland traffic reports on KCRW. “It’s bummer to bummer out there,” she’s been known to report. “Pack a snack, folks.”
- Scott Burt, airborne traffic reporter helps Southern California motorists navigate their way through the clogged freeways of L.A.,Orange, and San Diego counties on KNX, KFWB, KOLA.
- Larry Barajas, powerhouse airborne reporter, broadcasts live traffic reports on KNX AM 107 and KRTH FM 101.
- Ryan Duggan, a familiar Southland radio personality and airborne traffic reporter, tracks the region’s freeways on KRLA.
- California Highway Patrol Officer Luis Mendoza, reports traffic conditions on FOX 11 Morning News, Univision 34 morning news, Primera Edicion of Univision 34, 6 p.m.,and on radio stations KWRM Radio Mexico mornings; KFRN 1280 Family Radio, La Ponderosa 1550 and on the Internet Real Time Traffic internet show on Myfoxla.com for Fox network.
Give ridesharing a try for Rideshare Week and show the traffic reporters some love. Call 511 and say, “Los Angeles County Rideshare” or visit metro.net/rideshare to find a commuting plan that works for you.
Categories: Inside Metro