Metro issued a news release on Monday about the upcoming bus service cuts and changes going into effect on Sunday, Dec. 12. Here’s the release:
Effective Sunday, December 12, Metro is making bus service changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Metro system through better use of resources.
Four local lines are set to be discontinued and five Metro Rapid lines will be cancelled with service realocated to limited and local service operating along those corridors. In addition some Saturday and Sunday service will be cancelled with some of the service being augmented by local service on the weekends.
The bus service changes are being made to reduce unproductive service, reduce duplication of service along key travel corridors and to rightsize the Metro Rapid Corridor service. Metro staff looked at several Metro Rapid corridors where the average passengers trip length on the service were not much longer or faster than the local service currently being provided. For these specific corridors, Metro Rapid service (Lines 711, 714, 715, 753 & 920) will be discontinued and replaced with additional trips on the Local/Limited service (Lines 311, 14, 115, 53 & 720) as warranted to meet demand.
Below is a complete list of the Metro Bus service changes to be implemented on Sunday, December 12.
- 42/42A–LAX City Bus Center to Downtown LA/Union Station via La Tijera Bl, Stocker St, ML King Bl. Operate as a branch of Line 40 (refer to Line 40 timetable). Line 42A via La Cienega Bl operates evenings/nights only.
- 68/287– Monterey Park via Cesar E Chavez Av/El Monte-Indiana Gold Line Station via Garvey Ave. Discontinue Line 287 service between The Shops at Montebello & Indiana Gold Line Station. Extend selected trips on Line 68 to replace service between Atlantic Bl & The Shops at Montebello.
- 71–Los Angeles – Cal State LA via Wabash Av & City Terrace Dr. Discontinue portion of route to Outpatient Clinic behind the hospital. Route will serve hospital on Marengo Ave. only.
- 121– Imperial/Wilmington Station-Whitwood Mall via Imperial Hwy, Telegraph Rd & Santa Gertrudes Ave. Operate as a branch of Line 120 (refer to Line 120 timetable).
- 165– West Hills-Burbank Station via Vanowen St. Discontinue route deviation from Empire Av to Thornton Av & Hollywood Wy near Bob Hope Airport. Service will remain on Empire Av.
- 168– Chatsworth Station- via Lassen St & Paxton St. Discontinue service. Alternate service available on Lines 158, 167 and a portion of Lines 233, 761 and 902.
- 177– La Canada-Sierra Madre Villa Gold Line Station via 1-210 & California Bl & Walnut St.
- Retain AM and PM peak hour service only and reduce the number of trips.
- 202– Willowbrook-Compton-Wilmington. Reduce service to every 60 minutes between Willowbrook through Compton to Wilmington.
- 206– Athens-Hollywood via Normandie Ave. Change turnaround loop in Hollywood. Board southbound buses on Vermont Av at Sunset Bl facing north or on westbound Hollywood Bl at New Hampshire Ave.
- 214– Artesia Transit Center-Broadway/Main St Loop-Harbor Freeway Station.
- Discontinue service. Alternate service provided on Lines 45, 52 and Torrance Transit 1.
- 220– Beverly Center-Culver City via Robertson Bl. Discontinue Saturday service. Alternative service provided on Line 105 and Big Blue Bus 12.
- 212/312– Hawthorne-Hollywood via La Brea Av Local/Limited. Operate Line 312 limited stop service in peak hours only, northbound in the AM and southbound in the PM (discontinue midday limited stop service).
- 256– Commerce – Altadena via Eastern Av & Hill Ave. Modify route at Hill Av & Washington Bl. Route travels via Washington Bl & Lake Av to current terminal at Lake Av & Mendocino St. Discontinue segment north of Washington Bl on Hill Av, Holliston Av and Mendocino St.
- 311– LAX City Bus Center-Norwalk Green Line Station via Florence Ave. New limited stop service replaces discontinued Line 711.
- 439– Culver City Transit Center/Fox Hills-Downtown LA/Union Station via La Cienega & Santa Monica Fwy. Retain weekday AM and PM peak period service only and operate all trips via Green Valley Circle. Discontinue segment on Sepulveda Bl south of Culver City Transit Center/Fox Hills Mall. Service on Sepulveda Bl provided by Culver City Line 6 and Rapid 6.
- 607– Inglewood-Windsor Hills-Inglewood. Discontinue counter clockwise service, maintain clockwise service.
- 608– Crenshaw Connection. Discontinue service.
- 620– Boyle Heights via Cesar Chavez Av & State St. Reduce service to 60-minute frequency.
- 625/626– Green Line-World Way West via Imperial Hwy (625), LAX City Bus Center-Green Line (626). Discontinue Line 626 and extend select Line 625 trips to Superior Court.
- 711– Inglewood TC-Bell Gardens via Florence Ave. Discontinue service and replace with enhancements to Line 111 service and with a new Line 311 limited stop service.
- 714– Downtown LA-Beverly Hills via Beverly Bl. Discontinue service and replace with enhancements to Line 14 service.
- 715– LAX City Bus Center-Downey via Manchester Av, Firestone Bl. Discontinue service and replace with enhancements to Line 115 service.
- 750– Warner Center Transit Hub-Universal City Station via Ventura Bl. Discontinue weekend service and replace with enhancements to Line 150 service.
- 753– Downtown LA-Imperial/Wilmington Station via Central Ave. Discontinue service and replace with enhancements to Line 53 service.
- 762– Pasadena-Artesia Blue Line Station via Fair Oaks Av & Atlantic Bl. Discontinue Saturday service and replace with enhancements to Line 260 service.
- 780–Pasadena-Washington/Fairfax Transit Hub via Colorado Bl & Hollywood Bl & Fairfax Ave.
- Discontinue weekend service and replace with enhancements to Line 180 service.
- 920– Wilshire Rapid Express. Discontinue service and replace with enhancements to Line 720 service.
In addition, minor changes will be made to all other bus schedules with the exception of Lines 125, 128, 265, 442 and 450. Please check for revised timetables on metro.net, or on board buses. For specific bus route information call 323.GO.METRO, (323) 466-3876.
Categories: Policy & Funding